Why We Are Doing This
The New Jersey Coalition for Vaccination Choice is a network of parents, physicians, holistic organizations and autism support groups, concerned with the lack of parental rights regarding health care, and the overwhelming number of mandated vaccinations. We believe that vaccination choice embodies informed consent, a key ethical medical standard of which NJ residents are presently deprived. It is crucial that the NJ legislature pass A1534, the Conscientious Exemption to Mandatory Immunization. 19 other states already provide a similar exemption; parents in NJ also deserve this right.
In December 2007, the NJ Public Health Council, a group of eight volunteer, unelected, governor appointed officials, including lawyers and dentists, voted to add four new vaccine mandates, beginning Sept. 2008. Shortly thereafter, this mandate was signed into law.
The four new mandatory shots were added to the already crowded schedule of vaccines as a requirement to attend daycare or school in New Jersey. NJ requires more shots than any other state. The new mandates are as follows along with reasons to question their mandatory status:
- Annual influenza shot for children 6 to 59 months
- Where are the studies comparing vaccinated vs. unvaccinated children demonstrating the safety and effectiveness of administering annual flu shots to children as young as six months old?
- Seasonal reformulation of flu shots precludes any long term safety data. The CDC does comment each year, however, on the ineffectiveness of the vaccine because circulating strains don’t match the vaccine. (CIDRAP News, Feb. 8, 2008, “CDC says influenza B flu strain doesn’t match vaccine.” AP Medical News, April 7, 2008, “CDC: Flu season worst in 4 years; vaccine didn’t work well.”)
- More than 90% of the flu shots given in the 2007-08 flu season contained high levels of thimerosal/mercury. [FluLaval (Glaxo-Smith Kline), Fluvirin (Novartis) and Fluzone (Sanofi Pasture) all contain 25 micrograms (mcg) of mercury per .5 ml dose. Fluarix (Glaxo-Smith Kline) contains trace amounts (less than 10 mcgs, however, mercury remains toxic even in miniscule amounts)]
- The amount of mercury in a typical pediatric dose of flu shot, which will be given each year, exceeds the safety limit established by the EPA for a 550 pound person. (EPA standard for “safe” mercury levels in the human body; point 1 (.1) microgram of mercury per 2.2 pounds of body weight.)
- The first time flu shot for anyone, including 6 month olds, is a double dose, 2 shots
- Flu shots contain egg albumin and egg protein. There is potential for anaphylactic reaction if a child has an egg allergy, which is not commonly known at 6 months of age.
- According to package inserts for various influenza vaccines, no formulation of the flu vaccine has ever been tested for 1) Carcinogenicity (ability to cause cancer), 2) Effect on reproductive capacity, 3) Safety in pregnant women and fetal harm, 4) Safety in children under 4 years of age
- Pneumococcal (Prevnar) series shot for children aged only 2 months! to 59 months
- Is a “7-in-1” containing at least 7 viruses in one dose
- This genetically engineered vaccine has been poorly tested, is ineffective and unusually prone to adverse effects. There is also growing evidence that this shot’s effectiveness is rapidly diminishing due to changes in the ecology of pneumococcal organisms; it has been linked to the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of pneumococcus.
- Tetanus-Diptheria-Acellular Pertussis (Tdap) booster for sixth-graders
- In addition to the attenuated viruses, the vaccine includes formaldehyde and high levels of aluminum, both are known neurotoxins.
- Adverse reactions include encephalitis, convulsions, facial palsy, diabetes, and death.
- This is now a 5 dose series requiring continual boosters since NO long-term studies have ever been conducted to confirm the length of effectiveness.
- Meningococcal vaccine for sixth-graders
- Adverse reactions include Anorexia, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, myalgia, facial palsy, and encephalomyelitis
- NJ Dept. of Health recommends the conjugate version (Menactra) which is not effective against the meningococcus strain B that comprises 55% of meningitis cases in the US
New Jersey is the first jurisdiction anywhere in the world to make flu shots and meningococcal shots compulsory.
Many in this Coalition believe it is medically and scientifically irresponsible to mandate such vaccination.
No clinical trials have EVER been done to study
the collective effects of all these vaccines!
Vaccination is a medical procedure which carries the risk of adverse reactions and side effects, including death. Therefore, vaccination choice and informed consent is imperative. We call for passage of A1534, the Conscientious Exemption to Mandatory Immunization.